Are you vitamin D deficient?
Are you more than 8 hours indoors?
Have trouble concentrating?
Well if you answer yes to any of the above questions you may be vitamin D deficient. Three-fourths of Americans are vitamin D deficient, I was one of them based on my last year’s physical.
Why is vitamin D important?
- Absorbs calcium keeping our bones healthy
- Maintains the immune system and brain development
Where do we get vitamin D?
- Sun exposure
- Often added to cow’s milk, so milk and orange juice
- Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel
- Beef liver, cheese, and eggs (limited amount)
One of the supplements Dr. Oz recommends taking is vitamin D.
When to take vitamin D supplements and how many?
1000 iIU daily of vitamin D. If taking a multivitamin make sure the vitamin D meets this requirement. The national level for vitamin D is 30, you should make sure when tested our level is 30 and above. Vitamin D supplements should be taken with the largest meal of the day to get the maximum benefit.