Roasted Butternut Squash Chili
This dish can be eaten on its own, however, it can also be served over brown rice or with pita bread. My prep work included cutting the butternut squash in half and placing it on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper for 20-30 minutes with the oven temperature at 350 degrees. This was done the day before and the following day my crockpot did the job.
- 1 Medium roasted butternut squash
- 1 Can of garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Can of pink beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Medium onion diced
- 1 Red bell pepper diced
- 1 Zucchini peeled, seeds removed and cubed
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Cups of water, chicken or vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I like washing the butternut thoroughly then pat dry. I do not peel the squash. I cut it in half. Remove the seeds. Brush with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined parchment paper and bake until when you put a fork into the squash and it is soft. Depending on the size of your squash and the heat of your oven that can range 35-45 minutes.
- Add all ingredients in a crockpot, set to low temperature for 3-5 hours excluding salt and pepper
- Once cooked open your crockpot after all the pressure has been released.
- Take half of the chili out and blend then add it back in the crockpot.
- Taste and add salt and pepper for taste if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
Butternut squash – pumpkin
If you do not have a crockpot this can be cooked on the stove on low-medium heat.
Note: I use only organic ingredients