I always try to make my recipes with something that has that unusual ingredient yet very nutritious. So I decided to make black beans brownies. My daughter CJ loves brownies so these were made especially with her in mind. She can’t have cinnamon powder or nutmeg so those two ingredients were omitted in the recipe below. This recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free. It is super easy to make try it and let me know what you think about it.
15 oz black beans (low or no sodium)
1/2 cup carob powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder (optional)
4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened carob baking chips
- Begin by pitting your dates, and place in one cup water for at least three (3 ) hours.
- Prepare your baking pan by spraying it with coconut oil, which is optional. I like this baking pan because you will have your delicious bite-size squares once you finish baking.
- Preheat oven on 350 degrees
- Rinse your black beans thoroughly and set aside.
- Using a food processor add your dates ( without the water), black beans, carob powder, apple sauce and, eggs and pulse until the beans and dates are completely mixed and your batter is soft without any beans or dates pieces.
- Transfer your batter to a bowl.
- Add to the batter: almond flour, vanilla extract, and baking powder and mix by hand.
- Last fold in your carb beans.
- Add your batter to the baking pan and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Test and once completed, let rest in a baking pan before removing
- Once cooled, enjoy 🙂
Note: All ingredients are made using organic items when available. I have not tried omitting eggs.
However, in my past recipes here are substitutions that worked:
Medjool dates – any other dates or maple syrup ( 1/2 cup ) based on preference
keeping it sugar-free
Medjool dates – monk fruit sugar, cane sugar
Almond flour – All-purpose flour ( 1/4 cup)
Carob baking chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Try this recipe and let me know how you liked it!
Hugs and good health,