Easy, 9 ingredient seeded whole grain bread with oats, sunflower seeds and flax seed.
Naturally sweetened, hearty, wholesome and SO simple to make! Mix, rise, bake.
- Combine warm water, honey, salt, flax seed and flours in a large mixing bowl and stir, slowly adding the warm water. If using a stand mixer, beat at medium speed for about a minute. Otherwise just use a spoon to stir until well combined and when it can no longer do the job, knead and turn it into the bowl with your hands. Adding flour until the dough is no longer sticking.
- Lift the dough out and lightly grease the bowl with nonstick spray or olive oil. Cover and let rise for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Use fingers to create a small hole in the dough and pour in sunflower seeds and oats, transfer to a floured surface and kneed by hand for about 5-10 minutes. Form into a loaf-like shape.
- Place seam-side down in a lightly greased loaf pan or baking sheet and sift a light coating of flour over the top to help keep the dough moist. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F toward the end of the dough resting time and place a metal or cast iron pan (not glass, Pyrex, or ceramic) on the lowest oven rack. Also have 1 cup of hot water ready.
- When the oven is preheated, slash the bread 2 or 3 times with a knife, making a cut about ½-inch deep.
- Place in oven on middle rack, then carefully pour hot water into the shallow pan on the rack beneath. Expect it to bubble and steam; then close oven door quickly.
- Bake the bread for 21 to 26 minutes, or until deep golden brown and risen.
- Remove the bread from the oven and immediately remove from pan. Carefully transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store leftovers in a plastic bag at room temperature for up to a few days then in the freezer for longer term storage.