I believe food is medicine and I try to eat a large variety of vegetables, fruits, protein, healthy carbs, and fats. Our food provides the necessary nutrients our body needs. However, I also know I fall short sometimes. Eating mostly a vegetarian diet has caused some deficits. So in order to aid my shortfall, I take supplements occasionally. Here are some of my favorite brands and options which we use at home.
- Support production of red blood cells and prevent anemia
- Allow nerve cells to develop properly
- Helps your cells metabolize protein, carbohydrates, and fat
- Involves its participation in the development of nerve cells
- Protein, carbohydrates, and fats depend on Vitamin B12 for their proper cycling and movement throughout the body.
- Food sources: Sardines, salmon, grass-fed beef, cod, yogurt, and eggs
- Help keep your bones and teeth strong and healthy
- Regulates the growth and activity of your cells
- Help prevent excessive inflammatory immune-related activities
- Helps regulate immune system activity
- Maintain normal blood levels and calcium
- Food sources: Sardines, cod, and eggs.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
- Promotes optimal functioning of cells
- Reduce inflammation throughout your body
- Keep your blood from clotting excessively
- Maintain the fluidity of your cell membranes
- Fresh fish is best because not only does it supply you with omega 3 fatty acids but all whole foods provide an entire range of protein, vitamins, and minerals that work together to promote optimal health.
- The American Heart Association recommends eating at least 2 servings per week however I do aim for 3-4 servings per week.
- Some fish are high in mercury so be very mindful of your selection.
- My fish selections with very low mercury are salmon (canned and wild-caught), sardines (canned), anchovies (canned), domestic shrimp, and rainbow trout
- My fish selections with low mercury levels are mahi-mahi, mackerel (canned), and skipjack tuna (canned), pollock, and cod.
Here are my choice of multivitamin options:
These are blood builders, Vitamin B12, D, and Fish Oil