I like having pancakes and waffles for breakfast, so I tend to try to come up with healthier versions each time.This version I use different flours than your usual and have its own benefits. I used amaranth, buckwheat, and oat. This is also a gluten free providing you use gluten-free oat flour, which I did.
Amaranth flour is a gluten-free, protein-rich flour widely used by the Aztec and Inca civilizations of the pre-Columbian Americas. It is produced by grinding seeds from the amaranth plant into a fine powder. Although technically not a grain, amaranth yields a buff-colored, grain-like flour that is variously described as nutty, earthy and grassy. Amaranth flour’s protein gets high marks for quality because of its rich content of the amino acids lysine and methionine. (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/amaranth-flour-1423.html)
Buckwheat flour is a high fiber, high protein alternative to white flour. It is also higher in many essential vitamins and minerals than white flour. Buckwheat flour is not technically a wheat product, so many people with wheat allergies are able to use this flour. Provided it is processed separately from wheat products, buckwheat flour is also gluten-free. (https://www.livestrong.com/article/544066-buckwheat-flour-allergies)
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/4 Cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 Tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins or carob chips
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients (first 9).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients (last 5).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle.
- Cook the pancakes on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden.
- Stack the pancakes on a baking sheet and keep in the oven until ready to serve.
Note: I use only organic ingredients
These look absolutely delicious! I love pancakes and will definitely give this recipe a try!
Great! Let me know how you like them!