After reading the ingredients on a package of granola in the cereal aisle at a grocery store. I decided I will give it a try. Once I saw how easy it was, the possibilities are endless. This, however, is a basic granola mix. This can be added to plain (vanilla) Greek yogurt, make into a parfait, topped on berries, or added to milk for cereal. I usually make a big bash of this mix and store it in an airtight container or Ziploc bag until ready to use.
This one is for you Nana…. here goes!
- 6 Cups gluten-free rolled oats not instant
- 1.5 to 2.5 Cups maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal (optional)
- Preheat oven to the lowest setting- ours is at 170 degrees.
- Prepare a large cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Spread rolled oats evenly however not to thin on parchment paper.
- Pour 1 cup maple syrup and mix, making sure all the oats are covered with the maple syrup.
- Spread evenly again and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place in oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove mix and add the remaining maple syrup as necessary to cover oats completely but not running out on parchment paper. You may or may not use the entire 2.5 Cups.
- Return to the oven and let bake for another 30 minutes or until completely browned
- Mixing every 10-15 minutes to prevent from burning, however always remembering to spread evenly after mixing. This step is very important.
- Once the mix is hard, turn off the oven and leave in the warmed oven for about 15 minutes longer.
- If you are adding the flaxseed meal now is the time to do so. Remember this is optional.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and let stand until cool.
- Once cool immediately place in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
- Enjoy as a topping for your plain Greek yogurt, that is Nana’s favorite way to have it and so is mine!
Note: I use only organic ingredients