This batch of bread is known as “Johnny Bakes” or “Johny Cakes” in the Caribbean Islands. They can be fried or baked. This version is baked. This best way to describe this is that it is a quick version of a bread recipe. For the quick version, you follow steps 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. If time permits you can use the directions as follows.
I tried both versions and the taste and consistency are the same. It’s a win win…..
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup powder milk
1 1/3 cups warm water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients then add water and knead well.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Divide equally into 6 balls and flatten, however, leave fairly thick.
- Let rise again for 30 minutes.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Note: I use only organic and non gmo products.
Substitution: If you do not have powdered milk, no worries, you can use 3/4 cup milk (dairy-free or dairy) and omit the 1 1/3 cups warm water. Milk should be warmed.
Hi Dee saw your recipes and would like to try your Johnny cake