Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is family to the popular ginger. They look a bit similar and usually used in the same manner, While you can use ginger in a larger amount you cant do the same for ginger. Turmeric is used as a kitchen staple and also for its medicinal used.
Historically, turmeric was used basically for traditional Chinese medicine. In India it was used for skin disorders, upper respiratory tract infections, joint pain and digestive health. Today, turmeric is more popular and is use to promote arthritis, infections, allergies, anti inflammatory conditions and many more.
Different Forms of Turmeric
Turmeric is a common spice used in the kitchen. It is the major ingredient in curry powder. Curcumin is a major component of turmeric, and the activities of turmeric are commonly attributed to curcuminoids (curcumin and closely related substances). Curcumin gives turmeric its yellow color. The yellow color is what is so interesting about these potatoes, because it gives it a distinct yet delicious taste.
I used herbed salt which is my go to salt because it is made with sea salt and a variety of herbs including kelp. The herbs are celery, leek, cress, onion, chives, parsley, lovage, garlic, basil, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme. However, do not fear if you do not have the herbed salt, while it would have the exact flavor but still pretty good, you can just use salt and pepper. If you have any of the other herbs on hand feel free to add them because you will be getting each bite with lots of flavor.
Air fryer or Oven
I made these in the air fryer for a quick clean up. However, they can also be baked in the oven in a preheated oven of 400- 425 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the air-fryer that we own. I was able to place all the potatoes in it. My settings is 400 degrees at 40 minutes for fries, however use your settings based on your manual.
- 3 russet potatoes (large)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon herbed salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (if using oven)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash potato thoroughly (peeling is optional) cut into long strips.
- Place potatoes on the prepared lined baking sheet; sprinkle turmeric powder, ground pepper, herbed salt or sea salt (if using) and olive oil (use less if using an air fryer). Mix making sure all potatoes are properly coated.
- If using an air fryer, lightly spray a little more cooking oil on the potatoes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and cooked. (according to air fryer settings)
- If using an oven then after 10 minutes use a spatula to turn the fries over redistribute the oil and leave in for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Once golden brown and cooked, serve fries as a side to any main dish.