Every day I want to try to eat as more nutritious as possible. Not only for weight loss but to be healthier. One of the ways is eliminating refined white or cane sugar and white flour from my diet. Some of my substitutes for sugar are using coconut palm sugar, banana, applesauce, or maple syrup. Substitutes for white flour, almond, coconut, sorghum, millet, buckwheat, and spelt. I also love adding lots of seeds to my recipes, just the thought of the nutritious benefits. This recipe is vegan-friendly and dairy free.
I used spelt because it is a nutritious whole grain flour, rich in vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, manganese, zinc, vitamin E and B-complex vitamins. It is high in protein and lower in calories than wheat flour and also easier to digest than wheat. If you find that wheat upsets your stomach, that you are allergic to wheat or you just want to avoid wheat, spelt may be a good choice for you.
- 2 Cups spelt flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 4 Tsp baking powder
- dash of sea salt
- 3 Tbsp flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup coconut milk
- 1 1/4 Cup water
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla essence
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, using a whisk combine all the dry ingredients (first 8 ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients (following 6 ingredients)
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat griddle according to griddle maker instructions.
- When griddle is hot, spoon your batter onto the cooking surface. I used a half cup batter per pancake.
- Flip pancakes carefully when you see that the bubbles have stopped opening and closing.
- Continue until batter is finished. These freezes well wrapped in parchment paper and placed in a sealed container.
- Waffles can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to use just place in a toaster or heated oven and enjoy!
Note: I use only organic, BPA and aluminum free ingredients